MUNICIPALITY:  Flemington Borough
CEMETERY NAME:  Flemington Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  001


Number of Burials (approximate): 700

Dates of Activity:  1840 - present

Documentation/Publication:  The Cemeteries of Allison Township, Castanea Township, Flemington Borough and the City of Lock Haven (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Courthouse), proceed South on Jay Street for one block.  Turn right onto Main Street and proceed through Lock Haven, past the Soldiers’ Monument and onto Bellefonte Avenue, for 1.7 miles.  Turn left onto Sturdevant Street in Flemington.  Travel one block and turn left on Frederick Street.  Within one block the cemetery will appear on your left.  Park on the right side of the street and ascend the hill into the cemetery.

N41 07.634 W77 28.075 

Landowner / Caretaker:

Flemington Cemetery

Flemington, PA 17745



Very Good



What is now the Flemington Cemetery has its origins as three separate cemetery entities.  As the community began to develop, about the year 1840, a congregation of members of the German Reformed Church desired to have a church building erected convenient for their worship.  In 1883, Linn records that it “went so far as to put it under roof, when owing to a fatal accident of one of the workmen the house was abandoned, and afterwards its materials removed.  The lot remained, and has been since used as a cemetery. . . . The grounds are still held by an organization of Reformed families, -- the Bartholomews, Aarons, etc.  On this was the first school-house built in this region, but even its foundation has long ago disappeared.”

In addition to the Reformed Cemetery, a separate, Flemington Cemetery was established for the use of the community on the east side of the Reformed Cemetery.

Martha B. Zeigler,in her book, Flemington Mosaic, records that “At the turn of the century [circa 1900], a new cemetery was being developed.  The original burying ground had fronted on Fredericks Street, and the older families had commandeered most of the plots.  The Fredericks family owned much of the land at the top of the hill, sweeping toward Allison Township.  G. Watson Frederickslaid out a portion of this in burial lots to create a new Bellevue Cemetery.  In time, the whole crown of the hill from Fredericks to High would simply be called Flemington Cemetery.”

Today, Flemington Cemetery is largely filled, with an occasional, rare burial still taking place. The grounds are maintained by the Borough of Flemington.