MUNICIPALITY:  Greene Township
CEMETERY NAME:  St. Matthew Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  018

AKA:  Brungard Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate): 80

Dates of Activity: 1842 - present




CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships, and Loganton Borough (2004)




From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel East on Route 880 for 2.4 miles.  The cemetery will be on the left side of the road.  There is a driveway just before the cemetery.  Across the road from the cemetery is Snook Road, which leads to the Winter Road.


N41 02.483 W77 15.663

Landowner / Caretaker:

Brungard Cemetery

Loganton, PA 17747






A cemetery existed on this site long before a church was contemplated here, and it appears to have been a private plot for the use of the Brungard family.  In Spring, 1889, plans were underway to build a Lutheran Church on the site, but the heavy floods of 1889 washed the lumber out of the sawmills where it was being prepared.

Backtracking was done, and the cornerstone for the church was laid on 11 May 1890 and St. Matthew's Church was dedicated on 19 October 1890.  Ultimately, the church was closed in 1937.  It was sold to Howard Ardryof Nittany Valley and torn down in 1943.

A memorial stone marks the site of the church and the small graveyard adjoining.  In recent years there have been some new interments in this plot.