MUNICIPALITY:  Lamar Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Mackeyville Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  022

AKA:  Reesman Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate): 75

Dates of Activity: 1843 - 1915


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Lamar and Porter Townships (2003)



From Interstate 80, take the Lamar Exit (Old Exit 25).  If exiting from the east bound lanes, turn left; if exiting from the west bound lanes, turn right.  Go East on Route 64 for 3.9 miles.  Turn right onto Mackeyville Road (at the John Deere dealership).  Travel 1.7 miles, and bear right where the road splits.   At 1.9 miles there is an intersection - keep going straight.  At 2.1 miles the cemetery is on your left, at an intersection with Hallard Road.

N41 03.104 W77 27.827

Landowner / Caretaker:

Mackeyville Cemetery

RD 1 Box 134

Mill Hall, PA 17751







John Reesman (1788-1872) and Christina (Heltman) Reesman (1796-1843) settled in the Mackeyville area around 1831 or 1832.  They raised a large family and were devout members of the Evangelical church; services were often held in their home.  When Christina Reesman died in 1843, she was buried on part of their land.  It appears that her grave is the oldest in the cemetery.  John Reesman had a church erected near Christina's grave and it was used by various denominations, including Methodists, Evangelicals, and Presbyterians.  The cemetery grew up around the church.  This church was torn down in 1907.  The cemetery was discontinued about this time.  In recent years, a car struck Row 12 of the cemetery, shattering several stones, which were then replaced.