MUNICIPALITY:  Beech Creek Township


David Family Cemetery


AKA: Quay Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate):  3

Dates of Activity:  1820 - present

Documentation/Publication:  The Cemeteries of Bald Eagle Township, Beech Creek Township, and Beech Creek Borough (2005)



From Beech Creek Borough, turn North on Water Street.  Travel 0.3 miles, and turn right onto Sugar Run Road.  Travel 0.4 miles and turn left.  Travel 0.1 miles, and the cemetery will be on your left in a stand of trees.

N41 05.106 W77 35.644

Landowner / Caretaker:

Donna M. Peters

43 Little Sugar Run Road

Beech Creek, PA 16822



Very poor; needs cleared, stones straightened, and regular maintenance.



Daniel David (1758-1832), a Revolutionary War veteran, came from Berkshire, Massachusetts to what is now Clinton County, PA, around the year 1800, with his family.  He settled on land in Beech Creek Township where his family continued to reside for generations.  Several of his descendants became well-known in the region, one of them, James David, becoming a Clinton County Commissioner.

The David family buried their dead on the farm, in a little plot just off the roadway, in a grove of trees.  It is said that several stones were removed from this cemetery and piled on a nearby farm in the mid-1900s.  These stones have not, as yet, been located and it is not known whether they were simple fieldstones, or headstones with inscriptions.  If and when they are located, they will be published in a supplement to this book.  The only stones remaining in the plot date to the period of the 1860s-1870s, although it is thought that the plot was active from circa 1820 through circa 1900.

It has long been rumored that Edmund, son of Benjamin Liggett, who was killed in the Spanish American War, was buried here; however, his burial site has been traced through records to Hays-Fearon Cemetery in Beech Creek.

Currently (2004) this cemetery is very badly overgrown and some stones may be obscured.  Very few stones remain standing and thornbushes grow throughout.  It is advised not to visit this plot in the summertime if it is not in good condition, as it may harbor snakes as well as thorn, tick, and brush hazards.

This cemetery has also been referred to as the Quay cemetery.  This apparently originated when a WPA survey crew saw that the cemetery was not far from the Quay schoolhouse and assigned it this name.  This cemetery has no known connection with the Quay family whatsoever.