CEMETERY NAME:  Great Island Presbyterian and Old Lock Haven Cemeteries SCHADT NUMBER:  025


Number of Burials (approximate): 500

Dates of Activity:  1791 - 1905

Documentation/Publication:  The Cemeteries of Allison Township, Castanea Township, Flemington Borough and the City of Lock Haven (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Courthouse), proceed South on Jay Street for one block.  Turn right onto Main Street and proceed through Lock Haven, past the Soldiers’ Monument and onto Bellefonte Avenue, for 0.9 miles.  On your left is Summit Street, which runs through the middle of the cemetery site, which extended from Highland Street to Pearl Street on your left, and back to Bald Eagle Street in the next block.  Houses have been built on the site.

GPS Coordinates for Great Island/Old Lock Haven Cemetery:

N41 07.976 W77 27.316, standing along the eastern boundary of the cemetery in the sidewalk on Highland St.

Landowner / Caretaker:

Numerous private individuals




Cemetery has been utterly and completely destroyed.




A comprehensive history of these cemeteries (destroyed/relocated) has been compiled by Robert Russell Schadt.  He has graciously allowed his work to be reprinted on the following pages.  The cemetery site was located between Highland Street, Bellefonte Avenue, Bald Eagle Street, and Pearl Street, and actually contained two cemeteries – Great Island Presbyterian, Lock Haven, and the Brown addition – as shown on Mr. Schadt’s map.

The cemetery, located on the hill coming into Lock Haven, was originally associated with the Great Island Presbyterian Church, and the first burial was made in 1791.  An adjoining plot was used as the Lock Haven Cemetery and a later addition was known as Brown's Addition.  Burials continued in the cemetery until the early 20th century, although the cemetery fell into disrepair and neglect, with many graves removed by relatives to other places.  Organized removals of bodies to other local cemeteries occurred in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.  In 1919, the remnants of the cemetery were destroyed and the area leveled and made into building lots.