MUNICIPALITY:  Loganton Borough
CEMETERY NAME:  Fairview Evangelical Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  029


Number of Burials (approximate): 800

Dates of Activity: 1850 - present


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel East on Route 880 for 0.4 mile.  The cemetery is on the left side of the road, within the Loganton borough limits.

N41 02.168 W77 17.904

Landowner / Caretaker:

Evangelical Cemetery

Loganton, PA 17747






Salem Evangelical Church was built in the growing town of Loganton in 1852.  Prior to that time, St. Paul's (Miller) Church in Logan Township had served all those who practiced the Evangelical faith in Sugar Valley.  The numbers grew to the point, however, where this was no longer feasible, and Salem was intended to serve the eastern half of the valley.

The church was built into the hill, and one entered via the vestibule and proceed up either of a twin set of stairs to the sanctuary.  Early services were in German and the pulpit was of the old, raised style.  A cemetery was laid out in the back of the church lot in the early 1850s.  The cemetery was known as Fairview Cemetery, and it slopes gently up a hillside which commands a view of the south side of Sugar Valley.  It appears to have been used for burial before the church was even built.  When the great plague of typhoid fever swept the valley during 1850, the Fairview Cemetery received many of the burials.  The first marked is that of Margaret Trump, in January 1850.

Salem Evangelical Church was on the Esher side of the Esher-Dubbs split in the 1890s and lost most of its members to the Albright United Evangelical Church in Loganton, founded by Dubbsites in 1895.  Salem Church was the only church in Loganton to escape the devastating fire of 1918, and afterwards opened its doors to the Lutheran and United Evangelical congregations, which alternated services there until they had rebuilt.  When the Esher-Dubbs split healed in 1922, the Salem Church members united with the Albright Church, and Salem Church was closed.  In 1927 it was sold to Samuel Ilgen, who used it to build a shed in Booneville.

The cemetery was expanded numerous times and is very active today, and well-maintained.