MUNICIPALITY:  Logan Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Tylersville Evangelical Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  031

AKA:  Tylersville Community Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate): 50

Dates of Activity: 1870 - 1969


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel West on Route 880 for 7.1 miles.  In Tylersville, between a brown house and another house is a narrow, grassy lane that serves as a right-of-way to the cemetery. Turn right onto this grassy path and travel a few hundred yards to the cemetery.

N40 59.466 W77 25.631

Landowner / Caretaker:

Tylersville Community Cemetery

Loganton, PA 17747






The adherents of the Evangelical faith in the vicinity of Tylersville met in the local schoolhouse for a number of years, beginning about 1863.  When they grew in strength and numbers, they purchased a lot of ground from Philip Wolfand on 16 June 1871 began work on a frame church.  The cornerstone was laid 16 July 1871 and the new church was dedicated on 19 May 1872. 

The Evangelical Church laid out a cemetery in the rear of the church lot.  The first interments appear to be Gilbert Miller, in 1870, two Weaver infants and Martha May Miller, in 1874 (all children).  The first adult buried was Samantha Runk, in 1873. 

The nationwide schism in the Evangelical Church affected the congregation at Tylersville.  A majority of the members were supporters of Bishop Dubbs, who held the minority viewpoint in the church nationwide.  Since it was determined that the followers of Bishop Esher had the right to the church property, the followers of Bishop Dubbs reorganized themselves as the "United Evangelical Church."  In Tylersville, Adam Miller, William Bletz, and Frank B. Millerwere elected trustees of the new church on 21 April 1893, and in 1894 the new United Evangelical Church was completed, across the street from the Lutheran and Reformed Church, where Route 880 comes down from the mountain.

The old church building was sold 3 January 1933 by charge conference.

In 1946, the church became the Tylersville Evangelical United Brethren Church through merger.

On 15 September 1948, the cemetery united together with the other two cemeteries in Tylersville to form the "Tylersville Community Cemetery" for uniform maintenance.  The initial office was at the home of LaRue O. Grieband the initial nine board members were John Bierly, George G. Grieb, LaRue O. Grieb, Lulu Karstetter, T. L. Nicholas, Charles Miller, Russell Miller, Torrence Miller, and Mrs. Cora Simcox.

Over the years, the congregation dwindled and the Evangelical Church was closed on 1 May 1964 by General Conference.  The members were sent to Greenburr Church.  The church building was torn down in the early 1980s, and used to construct a house in Tylersville.  The bell sent to Greenburr.

Tylersville Evangelical Cemetery is well-maintained but has received no new interments in several years.