MUNICIPALITY:  Logan Township

AKA:  Miller Church Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate): 200

Dates of Activity: 1825 - present


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel West on Route 880 for 4.6 miles to Logan Mills Road.  Turn left onto this road, and travel for 0.8 mile, under the Logan Mills covered bridge, to West Winter Road.  Turn left on West Winter Road and travel for 0.2 mile.  The church and cemetery are on your right.

N41 00.140 W77 22.609

Landowner / Caretaker:

St. Pauls Evangelical Cemetery

Logan Mills, PA 17747






It is said that when Samuel Jones and his party, among the first settlers, came to what is now Logan Township, a young consumptive boy grew sick.  He expressed his last wish to be buried in a clearing.  He died in the night, and this was done.  Several children who died in a house fire a few years later were buried at the site.  These graves formed the nucleus of the present day St. Paul Cemetery.  The earliest marked grave is of a Culby child, dated 1825.

John Miller, who bought some of the Samuel Jones land, sold 80 perches of land for the erection of a church, for $5.00.  This first log church was built on land adjoining the burial ground.  It was ever after called "Miller Church" in honor of its benefactor.  The Evangelical Church met here for worship, conducting most of their services in German.  The name of this organization was St. Paul's Evangelical Church.

In 1877 the log church was replaced with a more commodious frame structure.  The building committee for this church consisted of John Zellers, Michael Lameynd John Emig.  The corner stone was laid 29 June 1879.  It was remodeled in 1904.  An active Union Sunday School also developed at Miller Church.  Much education, practical and theological, was gained at this site and it holds a distinction for sending out six ordained ministers and eight minister's wives.

In 1946 the church became St. Paul's Evangelical United Brethren (EUB) after a denominational merger.  It was ultimately closed by the Conference on 1 May 1964 and the members were sent to Trinity Church in Greenburr.  The building still stands and is in good condition.  The church is still used for occasional meetings and special services.  The cemetery is well-maintained and active, cared for by the St. Paul Cemetery Association.