MUNICIPALITY:  Greene Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Schracktown Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  037


Number of Burials (approximate): 100

Dates of Activity: 1800 - present


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel West on Route 880 (toward Tylersville).  At 1.3 miles, turn left onto Schrack Road (across from the large farm with multiple silos).  Follow Schrack Road for 0.5 mile down through the fields.  The cemetery will be on your right.

N41 01.314 W77 20.054

Landowner / Caretaker:

Schracktown Cemetery Association

5 West Main Street

Loganton, PA 17747



Good / Fallen and broken stones need to be reset



The first settlers of Sugar Valley banded together for religious services.  Jacob Kahl gave a part of his land for church and burial purposes, and the first Union Church was erected in 1806, and given to the use of the Lutheran and Reformed congregations.  A schoolhouse also stood nearby.  The building was constructed by "Father" Jacob Kahl and Henry Harrig.  As it is the earliest recorded religious structure, a description is fitting.

 The outside of the church was built of logs, and was later weather-boarded.  One entered the church through a double-door on the east side.  The pulpit was to the South side of the entrance door and hung from the wall, with some steps to reach it.  To the left was the altar and there was one center aisle.  The pews were narrow, with narrow back rests, and each pew was elevated a step, so that the whole church ascended like a theater as one went to the west side.

The surrounding graveyard was in use by the citizens of the valley for many years.  After the Lutheran and Reformed Church closed and went to Loganton in 1851, the building appears to have been used by an Evangelical class in the 1870s.  It was eventually torn down by Elmer Douty.

Mrs. Delilah Smithwas the final person connected with the old church who was interred in the cemetery, in 1906.  It has been used in recent years by the Schrack family who own the adjoining farm, for the burial of their family dead.