MUNICIPALITY:  Loganton Borough
CEMETERY NAME:  St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  041


Number of Burials (approximate): 450

Dates of Activity: 1851 - present


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel South on Route 477 for 0.1 mile.  The cemetery is on your left.  (It is, in fact, visible from the intersection of 477 and 880).  Turn left in front of the cemetery on East South Street.  There is a parking area here.

N41 02.027 W77 18.390

Landowner / Caretaker:

Lutheran Cemetery

RR 1 Box 207

Loganton, PA 17747






The early Lutheran and Reformed congregations at Schracktown (Centreville) outgrew their joint building, and resolved to build a new church in the expanding community of Logansville (now Loganton).  On 31 August 1850 a meeting was held in the Logansville schoolhouse to form a new Lutheran and Reformed Church.  On 15 February 1851, the building committee agreed with John S. Bitnerto build a church at a cost of $2750.

The cornerstone of the new building was laid on 3 August 1851 and it was given the name "St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran and High German Reformed Church."  This church was located on the southeast corner of the main intersection in Loganton.  It was built of brick three layers thick, and was said to be patterned after Solomon's Temple.

To the south side of the church, across an alleyway, a cemetery was laid out, which began to be used almost immediately.  Esther Troxelappears to be the first adult burial, in 1851.

On on 24 July 1902, the church was chartered as St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church.  Also, the cemetery was chartered as St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church Cemetery, "a public cemetery in which to bury the dead."  The initial trustees were D. K. Heckman and Daniel Brungard.

The Reformed half of the church had declined for years due to lack of membership, and some internal disagreements.  Also, the circuit served by the Reformed pastor was extensive, and the Loganton church was not actively encouraged. 

On 19 June 1918, the church was completely destroyed by the fire which devastated Loganton.  The congregation banded together and held services in the Salem Evangelical Church, which escaped the flames, over the next few years.  The cornerstone for the new St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church was laid in November, 1919, and the new church was completed in October, 1921.  This building is located on the northwest corner of the main intersection in Loganton, diagonally across from the old church site.

After the fire, St. Paul's Reformed Church dissolved its few remaining members and they joined Emanuel Reformed Church at Greenburr.

Both the Lutheran church and the cemetery are currently active.  Today the church is a member of the Sugar Valley-Salona Lutheran Parish.