CLINTON COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY CEMETERY GUIDE            

MUNICIPALITY:  Logan Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Trinity United Methodist Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  044

AKA: 

Number of Burials (approximate): 200

Dates of Activity: 1898 - present

Documentation/Publication: 

CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships and Loganton Borough (2004)

 

Directions/GPS: 

From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel West on Route 880 for 2.9 miles to Booneville.  Turn left on Campground Road and travel for 0.9 miles, almost to the end of the road at Greenburr, before it comes out on West Winter Road.  The church and cemetery will be to your left.  The cemetery is behind the church.

N41 00.440 W77 21.259

Landowner / Caretaker:

Trinity United Methodist Church

P.O. Box 86

Loganton, PA 17747

 

Condition/Needs: 

Excellent

 

History:

A division rocked the Evangelical Church in the 1890s, when factions supporting two opposing Bishops Esher and Dubbs came to disagreement over varied issues.  Nationwide, majority support came down for Bishop Esher, but locally, in Sugar Valley, Bishop Dubbs had a larger group of adherents.

This split affected St. Mark's Evangelical Church at Booneville.  It remained an Esher church, but a large number of its members who supported

Bishop Dubbs broke off to form a new organization.  In the Spring of 1897 these "Dubbsites" determined to build a new church just down the road at Greenburr.

Land was purchased and the church was dedicated on 29 May 1898 as "Trinity United Evangelical Church."  Trinity grew, and became an active and prosperous church.  When the Esher-Dubbs split healed in 1922, the remaining few members at St. Mark's joined the thriving Trinity Church and St. Mark's Church was closed.  The cemetery appears to have been opened at the time the church was built, and the first interments date to the late 1890s. 

The original Trinity Church burned to the ground on 20 January 1941. 

The congregation banded together and erected the present brick structure on the site.  Dedicatory services were held throughout the day on 7

December 1941, but were dampened by news of the Pearl Harbor attack.

Trinity Evangelical Church became Trinity Evangelical United Brethren Church in 1946, through a denominational merger.  In 1968, through another merger, it became Trinity United Methodist Church.  Trinity is an active congregation and its cemetery remains active and well-maintained.