MUNICIPALITY:  Wayne Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Sour Family Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  047


Number of Burials (approximate): 13 (no stones)

Dates of Activity: 1825 - 1865



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Gallagher, Pine Creek, and Wayne Townships (2005)



Traveling on U.S. Route 220, exit at the McElhattan/Woolrich Exit.  Travel South about 0.1 mile, and turn left onto Pine Mountain Road.  Travel 2.3 miles and turn left at Campground Road, remaining on Pine Mountain Road.  Continue 0.2 mile and turn left on Arrowhead Road.  Continue on this road until it dead ends at a field.  Then turn left to go up to the farmhouse.  Inquire here.  The burial plot is to the west of the farmhouse in a grove of trees in the field.

N41 09.884 W77 19.088

Landowner / Caretaker:

Rosemary G. Brennan

29 North Hill Terrace

Mansfield, PA 16933



Very Good / straightening or raising of some stones



Jonas Sour Sr.,his sons Jonas Sour, Benjamin Sour, and Michael Sour were early settlers in Wayne Township.  The family resided on a farm along the banks of the Susquehanna River.  George W. Sour, ran the local ferry.  The Sour family, and their relatives, the Winchesters, were interred at death in a small plot in one of the farm fields.  No gravestones, except one possible fieldstone, exist in this plot today, and family recollections indicate that there never were any.  The plot is grown over in briars and is surrounded by yellow stakes.