CLINTON COUNTY GENEALOGICAL SOCIETY CEMETERY GUIDE            

MUNICIPALITY:  Noyes Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Hall-Wertz Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  054

AKA: 

Number of Burials (approximate):  50

Dates of Activity:  1881 - present

 

Documentation/Publication: 

CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)

 

Directions/GPS: 

From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 26.6 miles to the center of Renovo.  Turn left onto State Route 144 and cross the bridge over the Susquehanna to South Renovo, traveling 0.2 mile on this road.  Turn right onto Barneys Run Road and travel 0.1 mile.  The road is gated at this point as it crosses Halls Run on an old bridge.  Cross the stream and follow the gravel road on the other side up a steep hill about 0.1 mile to the first set of graves on a flat.  Continue up the path up a steep hill through woods for several hundred yards, to the rest of the cemetery on the summit.

GPS for lower section = N41 18.953 W77 47.101

GPS for upper section = N41 18.879 W77 47.123

Landowner / Caretaker:

Halls & Wertz Cemetery

Shintown, PA 17764

 

Condition/Needs: 

Good

 

History:

Joseph Wertz (1879-1955), a descendant of the early Werts settlers, owned this property and gave a portion of his land to be used for a cemetery.  The first area used for burials was on the top of the hill.  After a while, the ground was deemed so hard one burial had to be dynamited burials commenced on a flat further down the hillside.