MUNICIPALITY:  Noyes Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Caldwell Family Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  056


Number of Burials (approximate):  20

Dates of Activity:  1816 - 1910



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 33.2 miles into Westport.  Turn left onto Caldwell Crossing lane (across from School Road).  Travel less than 0.1 mile and the cemetery is behind the house and trailer, down by the river, enclosed in a stone wall.  It is badly overgrown during the summer months and likely harbors rattlesnakes and ticks.

GPS = N41 18.111 W77 50.324

Landowner / Caretaker:

Helen F. Sherman et al

2135 Green Mountain Road

Trout Run, PA 17771



Very poor; needs Japanese knotweed removed, brush cleared, wall repaired and regular maintenance.



James Caldwell was a pioneer in the Westport region.  He purchased land on 23 Jan 1796 at the mouth of Kettle Creek from William Andrews, and moved on it with his family in 1807.  They built a house of round logs and planted an orchard.  James Caldwell kept a sawmill, but died in 1816, only nine years after his arrival.  He was buried on his property, between the house and the river, in what would become the family cemetery, enclosed with a stone wall.  The Caldwells continued as prominent Westport citizens, and the cemetery was used through 1910.  It has been cleaned over the years, but is today overgrown.