MUNICIPALITY:  Leidy Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Hammersley Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  066


Number of Burials (approximate):  40

Dates of Activity: 1850 - 1935



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 29.3 miles.  Turn right onto Route 144 (Drury Run Road).  Travel 11.5 miles, crossing Kettle Creek.  On the other side of the bridge, bear right on PA Route 144 and travel 1.9 mile.  Turn left on Hammersley Fork Avenue (TR 545, paved road) and travel 0.1 mile.  Turn right onto Camp Road.  The road ends in a grassy yard, at a house.  Park here and walk up the hill, to the right, following a path behind the house about 100 yards.  The cemetery is on your left on the hillside, and is badly overgrown and probably harbors ticks and snakes.

GPS = N41 26.971 W77 52.119

Landowner / Caretaker:

William P. and Gail M. White

143 Hammersley Fork Avenue

Renovo, PA 17764



Poor; needs brush and small trees removed.



Jacob Hammersley (1783-1873) settled along Kettle Creek in 1824, at the mouth of a stream which came to be known as Hammersley's Fork.  A farmer and miller, he was also known as a great pioneer hunter.  He and his wife Jane, who survived him to a great age, raised a family of nine children, including Jacob, Henry (killed at Gettysburg), Uriah, and Richard (died 1873).  Uriah Hammersley carried on a hotel at the mouth of the Fork until he was murdered by his son-in-law, John Kehoe, over a financial dispute in 1884.  The family, their friends and neighbors, used a small burying-ground on the hill on their property, which came to be known as Hammersley Cemetery.  It was never separated out by deed.  The first known burial was that of Albert Hammersley, in 1850, and the final interment was that of Urias Kelly in 1935.