MUNICIPALITY:  Grugan Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Burney-Grugan Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  067


Number of Burials (approximate): 20

Dates of Activity: 1800 - 1870



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 13.6 miles.  Turn right into a driveway at house #6950, the home of Mrs. Harold Wilson in 2006.  The cemetery is on a knoll about 100 yards northeast of the home, toward the river.  It is very badly overgrown with Japanese knotweed, a bamboo-like plant which is classed as an invasive plant in Pennsylvania and grows to a height of ten feet with an extensive root-system.  Logging in the vicinity of the cemetery left a large number of huge, slippery logs, now covered by thick brush for about 50 yards around it, making access very perilous.  CCGS members fell through logjams into deep holes several times while trying to reach it.  It can only be accessed during colder months when vegetation is reduced and snakes and ticks are down, and even then only with great caution and care.

GPS = N41 15.620 W77 36.026

Landowner / Caretaker:

Glen Union Cemetery

(nearest resident)

Mrs. Harold Wilson

6950 Renovo Road

Renovo, PA 17764



Very poor; surrounding area needs to be cleared of Japanese knotweed and fallen logs, cemetery needs to be cleared, buried stones located, stones straightened and reset.



James Burney, of Scotch-Irish parentage, may have settled here as early as 1770.  His warrant included 103 acres, but he later sold half of his farm to his sister Nancy, the widow of Charles Grugan.  She remarried and, with her new husband Henry VanGundy and four Grugan children, moved from Buffalo Valley, PA, to the Burney farm.  Nancy (Burney) Grugan VanGundy's son, Alexander Grugan (1786-1854) acquired the portion of Burney's farm containing the cemetery, and at Alexander's death it remained with his heirs until 1868 when his son, John Grugan (1823-1902), purchased an 88-acre tract including the cemetery.  By then John, who served as Clinton County Commissioner from 1885-1890, owned the farm to the west where the VanGundy's had settled.  (Ref.: Sue Hannegan, Historic Site Survey of Clinton County, PA)  The cemetery was a family and community cemetery on the farm, and has always been sold with the farm.