MUNICIPALITY:  Leidy Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Valentine Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  076

AKA:  Ballantine Cemetery, Summerson Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate):  40

Dates of Activity:  1913 - present



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)




From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 29.3 miles.  Turn right onto Route 144 (Drury Run Road).  Travel 11.5 miles, crossing Kettle Creek.  On the other side of the bridge, turn left and travel towards Alvin Bush Dam, going 0.4 mile.  Turn right onto a mountainous dirt road (should have 4-wheel drive).  Follow the road up a hill 0.3 mile into the woods, then turn right onto another dirt road.  Follow it 0.1 mile through the woods to the cemetery.

GPS = N41 26.022 W77 54.407

Landowner / Caretaker:

Stanley F. Summerson Et Al

5765 Wiclif Road NE

North Canton, OH 44721







This cemetery was on land originally owned by Isaac and Martha (Pfouts) Summerson, children of the first pioneers at Kettle Creek.  After their deaths, the land was divided among their three sons, Frank, David, and Simeon.  These later generations of Summersons established the cemetery on the ancestral property.  It is not currently known why it was called Valentine Cemetery, except that one Mr. Valentine, from Bellefonte, was appointed land-agent for the sale of the Drinker lands in the region before resigning in favor of Simeon Pfouts, the father of Martha Pfouts Summerson.