MUNICIPALITY:  Leidy Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Laurel Hill Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  082

AKA:  Gurnsey Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate):  200

Dates of Activity: 1853 - present



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Colebrook, East Keating, Grugan, Leidy, Noyes, and West Keating Townships (2008)



From the intersection of Jay and Water Streets in Lock Haven (the Lock Haven Courthouse), travel west on Water Street for 1 mile.  Turn right onto PA Route 120 (Susquehanna Avenue) and travel 29.3 miles.  Turn right onto Route 144 (Drury Run Road).  Travel 11.5 miles, crossing Kettle Creek.  On the other side of the bridge, bear right on PA Route 144 and travel 6.3 miles, crossing into Potter County.  Turn right on Main Street in Cross Fork.  Cross the bridge into South Cross Fork, again in Clinton County.  At 0.7 mile, make a sharp left onto Laural (sic) Hill Lane, a gravel road leading up a steep slope to the cemetery.

GPS = N41 28.487 W77 49.356

Landowner / Caretaker:

Laurel Hill Cemetery Association

Leidy Twp, PA 99999 [sic]



Very good; some stones could be straightened near the top of the cemetery.



Frederick Steward was an early settler in the Cross Fork area, and was buried on his land.  Some years later his property came into the possession of the Gu(e)rnsey family.  As Cross Fork began to expand as a community, a decision was made to establish a cemetery on part of this land.  On August 23, 1897, Etta B. Guerneseyand Hiram H. Guernseydeeded 160,000 square feet of land on Warrant 5151 to the Laurel Hill Cemetery Association.  On September 16, 1897, application was made for a charter for Laurel Hill Cemetery Association, “a place for the burial of the dead” in Leidy Township.  The incorporators were C. S. King, F. T. Mears, Frank W. Peck; and the trustees were Philip A. Meine, Henry Bodler, and Frank R. Davidson,all of Cross Fork, Pa.  The cemetery was incorporated in Clinton County on September 27, 1897. 

Reference: Clinton County, PA Deed Book 60, p 101; Book 61, p 504.