MUNICIPALITY:  Renovo Borough

St. Joseph Roman Catholic Cemetery (Old)



Number of Burials (approximate): 2000

Dates of Activity: 1876 - present


CCGS, The Cemeteries of Chapman Township and Renovo Borough (2001);  revised edition, to include full cemetery records, is currently in preparation



From the University intersection in Lock Haven, travel West on PA Route 120 through the town of Renovo. Going over the bridge past Renovo, it will be a short distance before Brewery Run Road appears on your right.  The total distance from Lock Haven to this point is 28.1 miles.  Turn right on this road.  Immediately thereafter (about 500 feet) is a road turning left into the woods.  Turn onto this road, and follow it a short distance to the cemetery.  See the map in the beginning of this book for a more detailed representation of the cemetery location.

N41 19.626 W77 46.493

Landowner / Caretaker:

St. Joseph Roman Catholic Church

925 Huron Avenue

Renovo, PA 17764




Very Good; the church's ongoing restoration project is greatly beautifying and preserving the cemetery.



In the 1850-60s - Father John C. Gilligan ministered to Catholics from Bellefonte to Lock Haven to Renovo. Father Louis M. Fink, O.S.B. ministered to German Catholics from Bellefonte to Renovo.

On April 6, 1869, the deed was recorded for Parish property for St. Joseph Parish, along Ninth Street in Renovo.

In October 1870, Father Joseph Kaelin (Koelin) was assigned as pastor. He erected the first Church on Larch Street, Renovo). The Church was 75' x 25'.

In 1875 a second Church was built on Huron Avenue. It was 36' x 64' with a 12" x 18 ' sanctuary and 9' x 12 vestry wings.  Seating capacity was about 480, plus a gallery for another 100.

In 1892 all previous Church structures were razed.

On May 11, 1892 groundbreaking ceremonies were held for the present Church of St. Joseph.  It was dedicated by Bishop McGovern of Harrisburg on January 27, 1897.

In 1876 the St. Joseph parish established St. Joseph Cemetery, Renovo (Drury Run), Clinton county, PA.  They acquired five acres of land for $500.00.  On June 8, 1881 the cemetery was consecrated.  Burials continue there to this day.

On September 25, 1925 the Church acquired forty acres of land in Hyner, Clinton county, PA, and established the new St. Joseph Cemetery.  This cemetery was consecrated by Bishop McCort of Altoona, Blair county, PA.  The first interment was Robert J. Kujawa, December 14, 1926.

Prior to the first St. Joseph Cemetery it has been speculated that a lot of Catholics were buried in North Bend Cemetery; however, whether there was a section for Catholics is not known.  Also, speculation has it  that some were buried in Howard and Bellefonte.  What is known is many of the early Catholics were buried in St. Mary Cemetery, Bitumen and St. Mary Cemetery, Lock Haven, as well as St. Mary Cemetery in St. Mary, Elk county.