MUNICIPALITY:  Crawford Township
CEMETERY NAME:  Gebhart Family Cemetery SCHADT NUMBER:  109

AKA:  St. Elizabeth Evangelical Cemetery

Number of Burials (approximate): 7

Dates of Activity: 1812 - 1862



CCGS, The Cemeteries of Crawford, Greene and Logan Townships, and Loganton Borough (2004)



From the center of Loganton (the intersection of Routes 477 and 880), travel East on 880 (a left turn if coming off I-80).  Travel on this road for exactly 5 miles.  In the midst of the village of Carroll, turn left onto a road which is a continuation of 880.  Follow this road for 6.9 miles over the mountain and into Rauchtown.  Turn left onto Pine Mountain Road.  Travel on this road 1.1 miles (through the intersection with Davidson Road) to the Benuel Stoltzfus farm and greenhouse, on your right.  Inquire at this residence for access to the cemetery, as it is on their property.  The easiest method to access the cemetery directly is to turn right on Davidson Road (mentioned above), travel 0.1 miles, make a left onto Heck Road, travel 0.1 miles, park in the grassy swath bordering the road, go under the fence and up the hill to the cemetery.  It is a steep hill and requires much walking.  Also, cows are likely to be wandering around.  Again, the CCGS encourages you to contact the property owner for permission before entering onto this private property.

N41 08.070 W77 15.320

Landowner / Caretaker:

Benuel B. and Anna Mae Stoltzfus

3997 Pine Mountain Road

Jersey Shore, PA 17723



Very Poor / needs new fencing, cleaned out and stones re-erected



The Gebhart family were among the earliest settlers in the west end of the Nippenose Valley.  They buried their dead high on a hilltop on their farm property in Crawford Township.  Also said to be buried here is Peter Pence, the famed veteran of the American Revolution and Indian fighter, who died in 1812.  His gravestone was erected much later.

In 1837, an Evangelical Church was built near the cemetery site and called St. Elizabeth.  It has been postulated that some of the early members of this congregation were buried in the Gebhart Cemetery, but there are no stones today indicating this.  St. Elizabeth Evangelical Church was later acquired by the Methodist Church and was sold at auction in 1918.

Over the years the cemetery fell into disrepair.  In 2000, descendant Raymond Pentzand the members of the Edward J. Smith VFW Post 3428 in Muncy restored the plot, and put a plastic chain fence around the enclosure.  Over the past four years the cattle have encroached so that all the stones are knocked over except that of Pence.  The fence is also in disrepair.