Book Name (2 Names)


by J. Milton Furey


by J. Milton Furey

Williamsport PA

Pennsylvania Grit Printing House





~ OF ~





J. Milton Furey, the author and compiler of this work, was born near the village of Pleasant Gap, Centre county, Pa., September 16th, 1857. His father was a farmer, and reared his son to the same calling. His early education was received at what was called the "Horn Town" school, named after the first settle or the place. He attended school during the winter and worked on the farm during the remainder of the year until 1877, when he left his home to seek his fortune in the far West. After a year spent in roaming, and failing to find the said fortune, he returned penniless and penitent to his home in Centre county, and again followed farming until December, 1879, when he started a bakery and confectionery in Bellefonte, Pa. The business was not a profitable one, and he soon gave it up, losing all he had invested. After spending a year in employments of a various nature, he entered the "Centre Hall Academy," as it was then called, where he remained one term. In January, 1882, he entered the Lock Haven Normal School, and graduated from that institution in July, 1883. After his graduation he secured a school in Montgomery county, Pa., where he taught one term. On the 25th of June, 1884, he was married to Ella Pauline Bigony, a daughter of Dr. F. W. Bigony, who is a prominent physician of Montgomery county, Pa. He taught the following winter at Pleasant Gap, and, in the spring of 1885, moved to Bellefonte. In the fall of the same year he was elected teacher of the colored school of that town, which position he held for two years. In 1887 he was elected principal of the North Ward Schools of Bellefonte, and re-elected in 1888. Having been elected principal of the Third Ward Grammar School of Lock Haven in July 1888, he resigned his position in the Bellefonte Schools and moved to the city of Lock Haven, where he has had charge of the said school up to the present time. In the summer of 1891, while preparing some work of an historical nature for one of the city papers, it was suggested to him by several friends that he publish a book of the same character. After giving the matter some thought he decided to undertake the task, with what result has already been shown. He has spent nearly a year of time and considerable money in the preparation of this work, which he hopes will meet its requirement, and satisfy its readers; if it does this he feels amply rewarded for his efforts in this his first literary venture.



The name of Jerry Church is inseparable from the history of Clinton county and Lock Haven. It was through his efforts the county was formed and named, and to him we owe the existence of Lock Haven as the county seat. No book of this kind would be complete without a sketch of himself, which we now proceed to give, as we find it in a book entitled, "Travels of Jerry Church," which was written by himself, and published by a firm in Harrisburg in 1845.

In the said book he informs the public that he was born in the town of Jericho, now called Bainbridge, in the state of New York, in 1796. His parents were formerly from the state of Vermont. His early education was received in the school of his native town, which was taught in the winter by a man, and in the summer by what they called a school-marm. He informs us that he like the summer school the best, and was somewhat sorry when he was expelled from the school for trying to kiss his teacher. This ended his education so far as the schools were concerned. And at the age of fourteen he went to work at making shingles, which was an important industry in his section at that time.

He says he worked about two years at this business, and then stopped, giving as his excuse that hard work did not agree with him, and that it hurt his feelings.

However, at the time he gave up the shingle business, he had managed to save between three and four hundred dollars. This he invested in cattle, and turned drover. The investment proved a failure, as he drove his cattle to Orange county, N.Y., and could not sell them at cost, hence he lost his time and labor, and he returned home with scarcely enough money to purchase a suit of clothes, which he states he was very much in need of at that particular time. He says: "his father advised him, at this period of his existence, to turn his attention to some other business, as he was not cut out for a drover. He therefore decided to become a musician, and purchased a violin, which his folds would not allow him to bring into the house, hence he was compelled to practice in the barn, which, he assures us, was a difficult task on cold days. However, he became sufficiently accomplished in the art so as to be able to play a few tunes in a fair and respectable manner, and was finally hired to travel with a wax figure exhibition as musician, a position which he greatly enjoyed, but which was not very profitable.

He gave this up, and turned his attention to cutting and rafting lumber. He was assisted in the enterprise by an older brother. They cut their timber in the winter and in the spring, while rafting it down the Susquehanna, they lost control of their raft and it ran on an island, causing them serious loss, and when the lumber was marketed they had very little left for their season’s work. Once more he abandoned the lumber business, and decided to try his fortune in a Western country. In company with a carpenter friend named Solomon Dickey, he traveled through Canada, but as they did not like the Canadians very well they concluded to go to Olean Point, New York state. There they hired out to build boats and skiffs for the sum of $16 per month. He informs us that it was at this place he had the first streak of good luck in his life." He says: "I was invited to play the fiddle for a country ball, and received $25 for my services, which was quite a sum for the pocket of a poor boy." After working there for about four months, they made a boat for themselves and went down the Allegheny river to a place called Portsmouth, in Ohio, where they parted company and never saw each other again.

Jerry Church, being left to himself, wandered around until he struck a place called Middleburn, in Ohio. Here he met a man named Parker, who had been a merchant in the vicinity of Church’s former home, at Jericho.

He says: "Parker informed me that he was about to build a still-house for the manufacturing of whisky, which would pay him big, and if they could not make much money they could at least make enough whisky to cheer their drooping spirits and make them feel rich." He assisted his friend Parker to erect the house, and to manufacture whisky for nearly a year, when they purchased a boat and loaded it with cider and apples, and took their load down the Ohio to the Kenhawa river, and up that to Charleston, Virginia where they traded it for salt, which they carried back and traded for bacon, flour, potatoes or anything in the shape of produce. He followed this business for about a year, when he gave it up and hired with the captain of a produce boat at fifty cents per day. The work being hard, and the pay not enough, he soon gave up the business, and in company with a Frenchman started a store boat. They loaded their boat at a small town below Cincinnati with store goods of all descriptions, and sailed down the river, stopping at every town until they had sold their stock, when they also sold the boat and gave up business. His next venture was the wax figure business, which he followed for a season, until he was taken sick with the ague, which compelled him to remain idle for nearly a year. He next became a clerk in a little country store, and afterwards turned peddler; which business seemed to flourish to such an extent, that he finally saved enough money to start a store of his own, which he did in the house of a farmer who resided on the bank of the Licking river. He remained for a year, when a desire to return home seized him and he gave up business, and after purchasing a horse and wagon started for the home of his youth. He traveled through the state of Ohio, and finally arrived at Harrisburg, the capital of Pennsylvania, where he met a brother and sister of his, the former being a resident of the town, and the latter being there on a visit. His sister accompanied him to Jericho, where they found their mother, brothers and sisters, their father having died previous to this time. He next went into the store business with an older brother, at a place called Colesville, in Brown county, N.Y. The people of that section were poor, and nearly everything purchased at the store was paid for in lumber, shingles, etc.

The business becoming monotonous to him, he took what lumber he could collect and rafted it down the Susquehanna and sold it at Marietta. After this he traveled through several of the Southern states, visiting the gold fields of North Carolina; going from there to Tennessee and Missouri, and finally through quite a number of the Western states. He was accompanied on this expedition by one of his brothers, and they took up a homestead near the town of Ottawa, Ill. They remained on their land about a year, when the brother became tired of the West, and decided to return to his home in the east. So they laid out their land into lots and started in a wagon, drawn by oxen, for the town of Chicago, a distance of eighty miles.

Chicago at that time contained about six houses, and was occupied by the French and Indians. Jerry Church says: "We then took passage in a wagon that was going to Michigan through the Indian country without any road. On our trip we came to the home of an old Frenchman who had married an Indian squaw, and who had three pretty daughters. My brother fell in love with one of the girls and wanted to stay and be an Ingun, but I persuaded him to travel on. Although he said he would just as soon be an Ingun as not, if he could live with one of those pretty girls."

They traveled for some time through the state of Michigan, visited Detroit, then went to Buffalo, N.Y., and took a steamboat for Cleveland, Ohio. Here his brother left him and went to Tennessee to buy some land, and Jerry himself went back to Illinois to look after the town they had laid out on their homestead. On the way he met a man who had been to their new town, and who offered a wagon load of goods, wagon and horse included, for the Churchs’ interest in the land. The trade was made, and once more Jerry Church was a full-fledged peddler. He traveled from place to place until he landed at St. Louis, where he sold his outfit and took passage on a steamer for New Orleans. Here his fever and ague came on him again, and he decided to return home if he could get there. He found a vessel about ready to sail for Philadelphia. He says: "I went aboard and asked to see the captain. They told me to walk down stairs into the cabin. I told them I could not do that, as I was too weak to walk anywhere. The captain then came up and I asked him if he could take a passenger to Philadelphia. He said he could not take me as I was too much of a skeleton to stand the voyage. I told him I wanted to go, and had the money to pay my fare, and it made no difference to him whether I could stand the trip or not so as he got the money. If I died he should wrap me in a blanket and toss me into the ocean. He said all right, I could go, which was very good news to me indeed."

The vessel stopped for the winter at the mouth of Morris river, about sixty miles from Philadelphia, and our hero was compelled to travel by land, which he did, and finally arrived at New Cumberland, at the home of his brother Robert. He next drifted to Middletown, where he made his home with a sister for a time. His next move was to invest in government lands in several of the Southern states; these he sold, and was thus placed once more on the road to prosperity. He then came to the town of Williamsport and laid out what is called "Church’s Addition" on a farm of 103 acres, which cost him and his brother Francis, who was at that time a resident of Wellsboro, Tioga county, $10,000. This investment was a profitable one, and the two brother proceeded from Williamsport to Derrstown (now Lewisburg), where they purchased a tract of 125 acres for the sum of $5,625. Jerry Church says in connection with this purchase: "Having been in the habit of making towns, we got the idea into our heads that we could make one most any where, so we concluded to try a small one on the opposite side of the river from Lewisburg. While we did not do them much harm as a rival, they were glad to buy of us at a big price. Two days after we had purchased it for $45 per acre, we laid out the land into streets and alleys, and called it Churchville. We sold the whole tract inside of two weeks, making considerable money but not much of a town." The brothers then went to Harrisburg, where they purchased a small mill patent, a mill and threshing machine, horse power, and all the apparatus for setting them in motion at any place. They shipped their purchase by canal to Pittsburg, and started with a carriage and tem of horses for that Western city. Upon their arrival there they found their machinery all right. They determined to ship the whole concern to Louisville. They accosted the captain of a ship and asked him if he carried freight. He said he could carry all they had. Jerry Church then informed him that they wanted him to take two "Churches," a grist mill, a saw mill, and a carriage and two horses. The captain waxed angry and told them he could not carry such freight, butt when informed as to the weight of the articles he changed his mind, and they landed at Louisville, where they tried their machinery, which failed to work. They finally sold out the concern and drifted from place to place until they found themselves in Chicago, where the two brothers parted company, the one going to the far west and Jerry Church returning to found the present city of Lock Haven. His story concerning the founding of Lock Haven we will give under another head.

Many different stories have been told concerning the peculiarities of Jerry Church, but what he says of himself in the little book of which we have spoken gives a better idea of his real character than what anyone else can say about him. It is the opinion of all who were originally acquainted with the man that he at one time intended making his home in Lock Haven. He built himself a peculiar dwelling a few rods below the old Court House, of which he speaks as follows: "In order to carry out my originality I built an office in the town standing eight feet above the ground, on thirteen large posts or pillars, to represent out thirteen Continental states. In the first place it is made by placing thirteen large pine trees five feet in the ground, and thirty feet long, in their natural state, with the exception of taking the bark off, and painting them in imitation of marble, with a fourteen feet room formed inside of the posts, so as to form a balustrade all around it; and the roof projecting over so as to protect the building. I concluded, when I was making it, that it was an odd looking office, and different from anyone I had seen in this country. And as I was no lawyer, and could not expect any notice or business in that way, I concluded that I would build my office so that clients might look at it without expense. If I am not very much mistaken, they would make as much at that as they would if I had been a lawyer myself. I had a number of scientific gentlemen to view the little building, and they always asked what order I intended it to be. I told them I never did anything according to order — it was all a matter of taste; that I never learned anything by note, and therefore could not inform them any more than that it was my own order, and that appeared to satisfy their inquiries always. I had always concluded that there was no chance for me to have any kind of a monument erected in remembrance of me, unless I should place some of my odd matters and things before the public myself, so that they could not all pass by without observing that some person had been there before." He also says: "I had a summer seat built in the first place at Lock Haven, so that if I got tired I could go up and take a rest. It was formed in a cluster of black walnut trees. It was twenty-five feet from the ground, forty feet long, and seven feet wide, placed so as to be supported by the trees, banistered, and a seat running all around, and winding stairs up one of the trees. And I must say that when I went up on to the upper seat I felt like a bird. I had it painted by a German painter, and I told him that I would like to have it made like marble; but as he did not understand English very well he made it what I call ‘Dutch marble,’ — all full of white and black spots. The natives of that country thought it was a wonderful thing, that I should throw away my money so, to make a nice seat to sit on, and asked me why I did so. I told them that I sat far more comfortable on the seat than I could on a bag of dollars. So they gave it up. It has ever since gone by the name of ‘Church’s Folly.’ However all were willing to take a seat with me now and then." It is very natural to suppose that after a man had founded a town, and lived to see it become as prosperous as Lock Haven, he would be desirous of remaining in it in order to secure some of the honors if not the financial benefits of its prosperity. But such was not the case with Jerry Church. He seemed to have had a mania for laying out towns, and, after he saw them fairly started, to leave them to their fate. He watched the growth and fought the battles for his new town of Lock Haven until 1845, when he once more turned his face westward, where he remained until his death, which took place in Carlisle, Iowa, November 1, 1874. He made several visits to Lock Haven, the last one being made in 1865. At this time he was honored by the citizens with a complimentary supper.

In alluding to his death The Indianola Tribune, of Carlisle, Iowa, gives the following sketch of the closing years of his life:

"One of the earliest pioneers, and one of the most remarkable men of Central Iowa, has ended a life of adventure such as it has been the fortune of few to live. In the year 1845 he came West to Des Moines while the Indians were yet in possession of the country, and in 1846 laid out the town of Dudley, about two miles east of Carlisle, on the Des Moines river, which place he abandoned in 1851, after the great freshet of that year had mad sad havoc with his embryo city. He then moved to Carlisle, which he had in the meantime laid out. Soon after he went to Kansas, and in furtherance of his mania for laying out towns, he laid out the town of Franklin, near Lawrence, which, however, was another failure, and he spent most of the time for some years at Carlisle, until a few years since he went to Nebraska, and, carrying out his desire for pioneer life, took a homestead. He remained in Nebraska until brought back by Dr. Hull to the home of his pioneer days, where on Sunday, November 1st, Uncle Jerry breathed his last, and was buried by the loving hands of those who had known him so long and so well. We have sketched thus fully the details of his adventures to show the natural vent of his life, and his nature as a pioneer. While Uncle Jerry was never a prominent man in society, or in state or nation, yet he was one of those men whom it was a pleasure to know; one of those strong, sensible, sturdy pioneers to whom our country owes so much; one of those who were the forerunners of a more advanced civilization, who prepared the way for the inhabitants of the West, and moulded to a great extent the course and destiny of a great and prosperous country. Dangers had no terror for him, and his whole life was spent in their very midst. He was plain and blunt in the expression of his opinions, which were always strong and well taken. He was very charitable, almost so to a fault, and no poor man or woman ever appealed for assistance in vain to his kindly heart. To the children Uncle Jerry was almost a divinity; so kindly in all his actions, so full of his narratives of adventures of frontier life, in which they delight, that he was a welcome visitor at every hearthstone, and the friend and intimate of all who knew him. Enemies he had none, nor could have had, for everything in his nature was such as to make only friends. In his religious belief he was a consistent Universalist. His religious faith was firm to the end, and his sad burial rites were performed by a minister of that denomination, the fortunes of which he had followed, and the success of he had desired so long."



Previous to March 11th, 1762, the territory embraced within the present limits of Clinton county was a portion of Chester, one of the original counties into which the province of Pennsylvania was divided by William Penn. On the above named date Berks county was formed, taking that part of Chester which contained what is now Clinton. By Act of March 21st, 1772, Northumberland county was taken in part from Berks and included the present Clinton. When Lycoming county was taken from Northumberland, in 1795, it also contained all the territory now embraced in Clinton county, a part of which was included in the formation of Centre, in 1800. Therefore, when Clinton was organized by Act of 1839, it took portions of Centre and Lycoming. The townships of Bald Eagle, Lamar and Logan were taken from Centre county, and the others from Lycoming. Section I of the Act organizing the county of Clinton reads as follows:

"Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, in General assembly met, and it is hereby enacted by the authority of the same, That all those parts of the counties of Lycoming and Centre, and lying within the following boundaries, viz: Beginning at Pine Creek, where the north line of Lycoming county crosses said creek; thence a straight line to the house of William Herrod; thence following the Coudersport and Jersey Shore turnpike, the several courses and distances thereof, to the middle of Pine creek; thence down the said creek, the several courses thereof, to its junction with the West Branch of the river Susquehanna; thence a straight line to the northeast corner of Centre county, thence to include Logan, Lamar and Bald Eagle townships in Centre county; thence along the Lycoming county line to the southwest corner of said county; thence by the lines of Clearfield, McKean, Potter and Tioga counties to the place of beginning, and the same is hereby created into a separate county, to be called ‘Clinton,’ the seat of justice to be fixed by commissioners hereinafter appointed."

Clinton county as well as Lock Haven, its county seat, owes its origin to the exertions of Jerry Church. The efforts made by Mr. Church to organize a county were strongly opposed by leading citizens of both Centre and Lycoming counties.

Jerry Church, in his original manner, gives his own account of the organization of the county, which is a follows: "I now undertook to divide the counties of Lycoming and Centre, and make a new county, to be called Clinton. I had petitions printed to that effect, and sent them to Harrisburg, to have them presented to the Legislature, and then went down myself to have the matter represented in good order. My friend, John Gamble, was our member from Lycoming at that time, and he reported a bill. The people of the town of Williamsport, the county seat of Lycoming, and Bellefonte, the county seat of Centre county, then had to be up and be doing something to prevent the division; and they commenced pouring in their remonstrances, and praying aloud to the Legislature not to have any part of either county taken off for the purpose of making a new one, for it was nothing more or less than some of Jerry Church’s Yankee notions. However, I did not despair. I still kept asking every year, for three successive years, and attended the Legislature myself every winter. In then had a gentleman who had become a citizen of the town of Lock Have, by the name of John Moorhead, who harped in with me — a very large, portly looking man, and rather the best borer in town; and, by and the bye, a very clever man. We entered into the division together. We had to state a great number of facts to the members of the Legislature, and perhaps something more, in order to obtain full justice. We continued on for nearly three years longer, knocking at the mercy seat, and at last we received the law creating the county of Clinton. In the year 1839 the county was organized by the Hon. Judge Burnside."

When the question of a new county was being discussed by the inhabitants interested, the name of "Eagle" was proposed and adopted, and petitions with that name presented to the Legislature, but after several unsuccessful attempts to obtain the required legislation, the name was dropped and the name of Clinton substituted as a ruse, intended to mislead the opponents of the new county movement. As the opposition in the Legislature had been so long and vigorously made against the forming of Eagle county, when that name which had become familiar to every member ceased to be presented, and Clinton appeared, the required act was passed before many of the members knew that the name belonged to the same territory they had been voting against for several successive winters.

Immediately after the county was organized, three commissioners, Colonel Cresswell, Major Colt and Joseph Brestel, were appointed to locate the county seat. There were several places anxious for the honor about to be conferred, but after viewing and considering all other locations, Lock Haven was chosen as the most desirable and appropriate place. Accordingly, a site was selected for the public buildings near the lower end of the town, three squares from the river, and sufficient land for the purpose donated by Jerry Church. Soon after the building of the old Court House was begun by John Moorhead, Robert Irwin and George Hower, and completed in 1842 at a cost of $12,000. In the meantime the courts were held and all other county business transacted in the public house of W. W. Barker, a portion of which was rented for county purposes. The following extract from a speech delivered at the dedication of the "New Court House," February 8th, 1869, by H.T. Beardsley, Esq, will give our readers an idea of the place and manner in which the public business of that early day was conducted. The facts which the following sketch contains makes it part of the history of Clinton county:

"This county was organized and thee first court held in December 1839. The court then, and for the years 1841 and 1842, was held in a part of a two-story frame building that then stood on Water street, above the canal, known as ‘Barker’s Tavern.’ That house was burned down in 1855. It was what is known as a double front — that is, two rooms in front, with a hall between these rooms. The part on the east side of the hall was the court room, and was about twenty-eight feet in length by sixteen in width. Think of it, a court room 28x16! Over this court room, in the second story, were the county officers, being two in number, and in size about 14x16 feet each. The front one was used as the commissioners and treasurer’s office; and the back one as the office of the prothonotary, register and recorder, clerk of the courts, etc., one man easily performing all the duties in the last mentioned office. You may be curious to know where the sheriff’s office was. ‘Old Sheriff Miller’ discharged the duties of that office at the period of which I am speaking. I recollect him well. A dark-visaged, good natured, genial man; but that does not inform you where he had his office. It was not in the Court House, nor was it in his own dwelling in Dunnstown, nor, may I add, was it in any other house in Lock Haven, Dunnstown, or Clinton county. All who recollect him will witness that he wore a high-crowned hat, and allow me to inform you, that in that hat he kept his office. He placed an empty cigar box in the prothonotary’s office, in which that official placed the writs that were occasionally issued, marking the day and hour of their being so deposited, and that was considered a delivery to the sheriff, who, upon coming to town, would transfer them to his hat, and the records of this court will show that very many of them never found their way back to the Court House. This brief sketch of our early judicial organization will revive old and probably pleasant recollections in some, and will be a matter of news to many, who have cast their lot amongst us in later years. I have no hesitation in saying that those primitive surroundings of our early history, taking into consideration the population of our town and county, at that time, and comparing it with the present, met more fully the wants and requirements of the Court and community at that time than the building we have just vacated did at the present time." At the first term of court, which was opened December 16th, 1839, Hon. Thomas Burnside was President Judge, John Fleming and George Crawford, Associates. The following named attorneys were admitted to practice in the several courts of Clinton county:

Francis C. Campbell, John Blanchard, Joseph B. Anthony, Anson V. Parsons, H. N. McAllister, Andrew G. Curtin, Robert Fleming, James Gamble, H. M. Bliss, James Armstrong, Henry D. Ellis, Bond Valentine, James McManus, James T. Hale, James Burnside, John Hoffman, William M. Patterson, Theodore Friend, F. A. Gwenner, Richard Williams. During the year 1840 the following attorneys were admitted to practice: Richard Williams, Adolphus D. Wilson, George W. Carskaddon, J. W. Maynard, H. T. Beardsley and Levi A Mackey.

The docket in which the records of the first court was recorded was not a large book, yet it was used for three years. Of the attorneys who practiced in Clinton county courts at the organization of the county, none are seen at the bar at the present time.

As the population and business of the county increased, it was found that the Court house, built in 1842, was inadequate to the wants of the community. Therefore, it was decided to erect a new one. Accordingly, a location was selected on Water street, just above the canal, and the present elegant Court House was built, Colonel A. C. Noyes, J. F. Batcheler and Dr. Samuel Adams having the contract for $93,000. This new Court House was formally dedicated February 8th, 1869, on which occasion the Hon. C. A. Mayer, President Judge of the district, and H. T. Beardsley, Esq., delivered the addresses.

The pioneer jail of the county was the cellar of the building known as "Barker’s Tavern." William Wyckoff was the first, and in fact the only prisoner ever incarcerated in this prison.

The first jail built in Clinton county was constructed of logs, and stood near the site of the present jail, on Church street. It was not very large; yet it had accommodations for the sheriff and his family, besides plenty of room for the comfort and convenience of transient boarders, who had, as a rule, no particular desire to escape from the hospitable shelter of James Chatham, the first sheriff who live in the log jail.

The present Jail was built during 1851 and 1852. The contractor was Anthony Kleckner. The original cost of the structure was $5,575. The front of the building was built of brick, and contained apartments for the sheriff and his family. The back part was built of stone, and contained the cells and yard for the prisoners. In 1871 and 1872 the building was enlarged by Brown, Blackburn & Curtin, contractors, for the sum of $22,240. The present modern edifice is a substantial building, and contains apartments for the sheriff and family, and has twenty-three strong, well ventilated cells for the prisoners. It is surrounded by a high wall, which extends back to the alley. The first sheriff to occupy the new jail in 1852 was Robert Irwin, who served from 1851 to 1854. The first to occupy the building after it had been remodeled, in 1871 and 1872, was W. H. Brown.

The first and only execution that ever took place in Clinton county was the hanging of Luther Shaffer, for the murder of Isaiah and Nora Colby. Shaffer was hanged in the jail yard, on a gallows brought from Williamsport for the purpose, on Wednesday, April 4th, 1888.

The first election in Clinton county was after its organization was held, on the second Tuesday of October, 1839. On this occasion the following officials were elected: Robert Fleming, state senator, for the district comprising the counties of Northumberland, Centre, Clinton and Lycoming. Isaac Bruner and James Laverty were chosen Representatives, to represent the district comprising the counties of Lycoming, Clearfield and Clinton. James Laverty resigned, and, in conformity with public invitation, the Democrats of the county assembled in the Court House for the purpose of nominating his successor. A dispute arose as to who should act as chairman of the meeting, those present being about equally divided between John Fleming and David McCormick. After several ineffectual attempts to organize, a gentleman, who was acting as temporary chairman, suggested that both sides go out into the street and stand in line, so that each side could be counted. The suggestion was acted upon, but even then both sides claimed the greatest number, and finally the friends of John Fleming entered the court room and placed their man in the chair. They immediately proceeded to business by appointing a committee of fifteen to draft a preamble and resolutions, expressive of the sense of the meeting. Conferees were appointed, with instructions to do all in their power to secure the nomination of John Moorhead, Esq. Meanwhile David McCormick’s friends repaired to the hotel of J. P. Huling, where they organized, drew up a preamble and resolutions, and appointed conferees, instructing them to secure the nomination of George Leidy. David McCormick was president of the McCormick meeting; John Kryder and J. M. Gallauher, vice-presidents. T. A. Friend, Esq., stated the object of the meeting and submitted the resolution. This meeting nominated George Leidy, and appointed T. P. Simmons and Colonel John Smyth conferees. On the following Monday the conferees from the several counties met at the hotel J. P. Huling. The two factions from Clinton appeared and claimed seats. After an investigation it was decided that one out of each set should be allowed to take part in the proceeding of the meeting. They at once proceeded to vote, and on the twelfth ballot George Leidy, of Salona, Clinton county, Pa., was duly nominated.

The sheriff elected at the first election was John Miller; commissioners, Hugh White, Robert Bridgens and Anthony Kleckner; auditors, Joseph Quay, Cephas Balcheler and John H. Chatham; coroner, James Carskaddon.

The first prothonotary elected in Clinton county was Philip Krebs, elected in October, 1840. Thomas Simmons, who was the first treasurer of the county, was elected the same year.

Clinton county has had nine president judges.

The first was Hon. Thomas Burnside, who served from December, 1839, to May term, 1841.

Hon. George W. Woodward — served from September term, 1841, to February term, 1851.

Hon. James T. Hale — held but two courts, viz: May and September terms, 1851.

Hon. Alexander Jordon — served from December term, 1851, to May term 1853.

Hon. James Burnside — served from September term, 1853, to May term, 1859.

Hon. James Gamble — held but one court, viz: September term, 1859.

Hon. Samuel Linn — served from December term, 1859, to May term, 1868.

Hon. J. B. McNally — held but one court, viz: September term, 1868, and Hon. Charles A. Mayer, who was elected in 1868, re-elected in 1878, and again re-elected in 18888, and who is now serving his third term.

Additional Law Judge — John H. Orvis, 1874.



Associate judges from 1839 to the present time were:

John Fleming and George Crawford served from December, 1839, to February, 1845.

George Leidy and John M. Gallauher from February, 1845, to February, 1850.

George Leidy died before the expiration of his term, and George Bressler was appointed to fill the vacancy.

George C. Harvey and John Graffius from December, 1850, to December, 1856.

Nathanael Hanna and Anthony Kleckner from December, 1856, to December, 1861.

Anthony Kleckner died in the fall of 1861, and Hon. William Parsons was appointed by Governor Packer to fill the vacancy.

Joseph F. Quay and Cephas Batcheler, from December, 1861, to December 1866.

William Parsons and George Warrick, from December, 1866, to December, 1871.

William Dunn and Coleman Grugan, from December, 1871, to December, 1876.

John W. Smith and Cline Quigley, from December, 1876, to December, 1881.

William W. Rankin and Isaac Frantz, from December, 1881, to December, 1886.

James W. Crawford and W. K. Chesnut was a elected in November, 1886; the latter resigned in the spring of 1890, and George R. McCrea was appointed to fill the vacancy until the next regular election. In November, 1891, James W. Clark was elected for the regular term of five years. The first term of Judge Crawford expired in December, 1891, but he was re-elected for his second term; thus the associate judges at the present time are James W. Clark and James Crawford; the term of the former will expire in December, 1895, and the term of the latter in December, 1896.



1839 — George Leidy.

1840 — James Gamble, George Leidy.

1841 — George R. Barret.

1842 — George R. Barret, George F. Boal.

1843 — John L. Cook, George F. Boal.

1844 — John Smith, Andrew A. Stewart.

1845 — Andrew A. Stewart, Timothy Ives.

1846 — Timothy Ives, Benjamin F. Pawling.

1847 — William F. Packer, Timothy Ives.

1848 — William F. Packer, John Smyth.

1849 — William Dunn, William Brindle.

1850 — William Dunn, William Brindle.

1851 — Joseph B. Torbert, John M. Kilburn.

1852 — Joseph B. Torbert, John M. Kilburn.

1853 — George J. Eldred, John B. Beck.

1854 — William Fearon, Thomas Wood.

1855 — John C. McGhee, Samuel Caldwell.

1856 — Isaac Benson, J. W. B. Petrikin.

1857 — Thomas W. Loyd, David K. Jackman.

1858 — Lindsly Mehaffey, William Fearon.

1859 — George A. Achenbach, Robert Crane.

1860 — H. C. Bressler, William H. Armstrong.

1861 — William H. Armstrong, James Chatham.

1862 — Amos C. Noys, John B. Beck.

1863 — Amos C. Noys, John B. Beck.

1864 — E. B. Eldred.

1865 — E. B. Eldred.

1866 — G. O. Deise.

1867 — G. O. Deise,

1868 — W. J. Davis.

1869 — A. B. Armstrong.

1870 — A. C. Noyes.

1871 — A. C. Noyes

1872 — A. C. Noyes, Samuel Wilson.

1873 — H. W. Petrekin, Richard Bedford.

1874 — George A. Achenbach.

1875 — George A. Achenbach.

1876 — A. J. Quigly.

1877 — A. J. Quigly.

1878 — George J. Eldred.

1879 — George J. Eldred.

1880 — J. C. C. Whaley — died in office.

1881 — S. Woods Caldwell, elected vice Whaley died.

1882 — Joseph W. Merrey.

1884 — Joseph W. Merrey.

1886 — John U. Shaffer.

1888 — John U. Shaffer.

1890 — James C. Quiggle.

Delegate to Constitutional Convention, 1873. — George A. Achenbach



The first district attorney was:

James W. Quiggle, elected in 1850.

Tobias T. Abrams, elected in 1853.

Charles A. Mayer, elected in 1856.

G. Omet Deise, elected in 1859.

G. Omet Deise, re-elected in 1862.

C. S. McCormick, elected in 1865.

James M. Deise, elected in 1868.

James M. Deise, re-elected in 1871.

William Parsons, Jr., elected in 1874, resigned in 1876.

W. H. Clough, appointed in 1876.

W. H. Clough, elected in 1877.

George A. Brown, elected in 1881.

George A. Brown, re-elected in 1884.

A. W. Brungard, elected in 1887.

A. W. Brungard, re-elected in 1890.



John Miller, elected in 1839.

John P. McElrath, elected in 1842.

Jared P. Huling, elected in 1845.

James Chatham, elected in 1848.

Robert Irwin, elected in 1851.

M. Q. Stewart, elected in 1854.

Thomas McGhee, elected in 1857.

Robert Hanna, elected in 1860.

John W. Smith, elected in 1863.

A. S. Fleming, elected in 1866.

John W. Smith, elected in 1869.

John W. Fleming, elected in 1872.

John Candor, elected in 1875.

R. S. Barker, elected in 1878.

Peter B. Smith, elected in 1881.

D. M. May, elected in 1884.

W. J. Leahy, elected in 1887.

W. Marshall Everhart, elected in 1890.



Philip Krebs, elected in 1840.

William Fearon, elected in 1843.

John B. Wagner, elected in 1846.

Thomas McGhee, elected in 1849.

Thomas McGhee, re-elected in 1852.

Robert Irwin, elected in 1855.

Johnathan Moyer, elected in 1858.

William L. Hamilton, elected in 1861.

W. H. Brown, elected in 1864.

W. H. Brown, re-elected in 1867.

W. H. Brown, re-elected in 1870.

W. H. Brown, re-elected in 1873.

George W. Batcheler, elected in 1886.

George W. Batcheler, re-elected in 1879.

L. R. McGill, elected in 1882.

L. R. McGill, re-elected in 1885.

McGill died in 1886, and J. F. Brown was appointed to fill out the unexpired term.

J. F. Brown, elected in 1887.

J. F. Brown, re-elected in 1890.



Robert Irwin, appointed in 1839.

Thomas P. Simmons, elected in 1840.

Robert F. Carson, elected in 1843.

John H. Chatham, elected in 1845.

James H. Hunt, elected in 1847.

David Carskaddon, elected in 1849.

S. Montgomery Quiggle, elected in 1851.

Lyons Mussina, elected in 1853.

Job W. Packer, elected in 1855.

Andrew J. Quiggle, elected in 1857.

John H. Chatham, elected in 1859.

Joel Karstetter, elected in 1861.

J. F. Batcheler, elected in 1863.

Erasmus Whitman, elected in 1865.

Platt Hitchcock, elected in 1867.

Peter W. Keller, elected in 1869.

Joseph F. Hayes, elected in 1871.

John Q. Welsh, elected in 1873.

Lucien W. Dunn, elected in 1875.

A. H. Strayer, elected in 1878.

Wallace Gakle, elected in 1881.

M. W. Herr, elected in 1884.

R. M. Glenn, elected in 1887.

S. Woods Caldwell, elected in 1890.



Philip Krebs, elected in 1852.

I. N. Loomis, elected in 1855.

William H. Smith, elected in 1858.

H. M. Bossart, elected in 1861.

Samuel B. Snook, elected in 1864.

Samuel B. Snook, re-elected in 1867.

Samuel B. Snook, re-elected in 1870.

Samuel B. Snook, re-elected in 1873.

James W. Clark, elected in 1876.

James W. Clark, re-elected in 1879.

James W. Clark, re-elected in 1882.

James C. Smith, elected in 1885.

James C. Smith, re-elected in 1888.

Alva S. grow, elected in 1891.



Hugh White, elected in 1839.

Robert Bridgens, elected in 1839.

Anthony Kleckner, elected in 1839.

Anthony Kleckner, elected in 1840. Robert McCormick, elected in 1841.

Joseph Hanna, elected in 1842.

John Ruh, elected in 1843.

John Dornblazer, elected in 1844.

Christian Grieb, elected in 1845.

Joseph F. Quay, elected in 1846.

Thomas Bridgens, elected in 1847.

George Walker, elected in 1848.

Daniel Shadle, elected for three years in 1849.

William Myers, elected for two years in 1849.

Adam Smith, elected in 1850

James Jefferis, elected in 1851.

George Hartman, elected in 1852.

John Heckman, elected in 1853.

David Baird, elected in 1854.

George Furst, elected in 1855.

Griffin Rote, elected in 1856.

Isaac Ramage, elected in 1857.

Jacob Getz, elected in 1858.

James Welsh, elected in 1859.

Gideon Dornblazer, elected in 1860.

Jacob Stamm, elected in 1861.

James Welsh, elected in 1859.

Gideon Dornblazer, elected in 1860.

Jacob Stamm, elected in 1861.

James Welsh, elected in 1862.

George Gramley, elected in 1863.

Jacob Quiggle, elected in 1864.

James Welsh, elected in 1865.

A. J. Quiggle, elected in 1866.

John Rishel, elected in 1867.

Thomas M. Wolf, elected in 1868.

Valentine Hanna, elected in 1869.

Samuel Kahl, elected in 1870.

Wallace Gakle, elected in 1871.

Jacob Getz, elected in 1872.

William A. White, elected in 1873.

James Darid, elected in 1874.

W. A. White elected in 1874.

Hugh Shaw, elected in 1875.

N. L. Sterner, elected in 1875.

Patrick Kane, elected in 1878.

John F. Price, elected in 1878.

J. A. McCloskey, elected in 1878.

Daniel M. Morris, elected in 1881.

Michael B. Rich, elected in 1881.

Joseph W. Hubbard, elected in 1881.

Daniel M. Morris, elected in 1882

Daniel W. Hubbard, elected in 1882.

John Grugan, elected in 1884.

John F. Brosius, elected in 1884.

Jeremiah D. Engles, elected in 1884.

John Grugan, elected in 1887.

Harvey Kleckner, elected in 1887.

Jeremiah D. Engles, elected in 1887.

Lyons Mussina, elected in 1890.

Andrew C. Kissell, elected in 1890.

John F. Brosius, elected in 1890.



James Carskaddon, elected in 1839.

David R. Porter, elected in 1841.

Joseph T. Hunt, elected in 1842.

John C. King, elected in 1845.

Robert Irwin, elected in 1846.

Joseph Brownlee, elected in 1847.

David Allen, elected in 1848.

G. W. Sour, elected in 1851.

Dr. Gorgas, elected 1854.

William E. Carskaddon, elected in 1856.

Charles B. Langdon, elected in 1857

Dr. Richard Armstrong, elected in 1861.

J. J. Lanks, elected in 1862.

John Bridgens, elected in 1864.

John J. Keller, elected in 1867.

Ira D. Canfield, elected in 1868.

George Y. Beatty, elected in 1871.

Dr. A. Prieson, elected in 1873.

Dr. John S. Mader, served from 1876 to 1891.

Dr. Charles Fullmer, elected in 1891.



Joseph F. Quay, elected in 1839.

Cephas Batcheler, elected in 1839.

John H. Chatham, elected in 1839.

John H. Chatham, elected in 1840.

William Dunn, elected in 1841.

George Walker, elected in 1842.

William A. Wycoff, elected in 1843.

Hugh White, Jr., elected in 1844.

James Shaffer, Jr., elected in 1845.

John Graffius, elected in 1846.

Isaac Ramage, elected in 1847.

Samuel Barnes, elected in 1848.

George Hartman, elected in 1849.

G. W. Halenbake, elected for three years in 3850.

John L. Eckel, elected in 1851.

Nathanael Hanna, elected in 1852.

Joseph Milliken, elected in 1853.

C. C. MCClelland, elected in 1855.

William Dunn, elected in 1856.

John W. Smith, elected in 1857.

John Dornblazer, elected in 1858.

Joseph H. Rich, elected in 1859.

R. Kleckner, elected in 1860.

Nathanael Hanna, elected in 1861.

G. A. Achenbach, elected in 1862

James R. Conley, elected for three years in 1863.

Benjamin Wheaton, elected for three years in 1863.

A. McCloskey, elected in 1864.

G. A. Achenbach, elected in 1865.

George J. F. Ramm. Elected in 1866.

David Mapes, elected in 1867.

George A. Achenbach, elected in 1868.

George J. F. Ramm, elected in 1869.

Jacob A. Bitner, elected in 1870.

William A. Cook, elected in 1871.

W. H. Clough, elected in 1872.

J. H. Chatham, elected in 1873.

John P. Anthony, elected in 1874.

John H. Chatham, elected in 1875.

D. M. Morris, elected in 1875.

W. T. Young, elected in 1881.

Levi R. Paup, elected in 1881.

William A. White, elected in 1881.

Levi R. Paup, elected in 1884.

W. F. Young, elected in 1884.

Samuel Stamm, elected in 1884.

William F. Moyer, elected in 1887.

John N. Bittner, elected in 1887.

Samuel Stamm, elected in 1887.

William F. Moyer, elected in 1890.

Harry L. Bridgens, elected in 1890.

John McGhee, elected in 1890.



R. Coates Allison, A. M. Taylor, H. L. Dieffenbach, A. K. Brown, Jesse H. Berry, J. N. Welliver, W. S. Snoddy, Daniel Herr, A. H. strayer, A. D. Rowe, A. N. Raub. M. W. Herr, T. R. McGhee, I. L. McCloskey and D. M. Brungard.



According to the first census, taken after the organization of the county, the entire population amounted to only 8,323. In 1850 it had increased to 11,207. In 1860 to 17,723. Ten years later it stood at 23,211. In 1880 the number was 26,278, and at the last census, taken in 1890, the population had increased to 28,685.



The present county officers are Hon. Charles A. Mayer, President Judge; Hon. James W. Crawford and Hon. James W. Clark, Associate Judges: J. Irwin Hagerman, Official stenographer; Hon J. C. Quiggle, Representative; John F. Brown, Prothonotary; A. S. Grow, Register and Recorder; Henry T. Jarrett, Deputy Register and Recorder; S. Woods Caldwell, Treasurer; W. M. Everhart, Sheriff; John F. Brosius, A. H. Kissel and Lyons Mussina, Commissioners; Alexander Flanigan and Samuel Fulton, Jury Commissioners; William F. Moyer, Harry L. Bridgens and John McGhee, Auditors; James A. Wensel, Deputy Treasurer; D. I. McNaul, Deputy Sheriff; John C. Clark, Deputy Prothonotary; E. S. McNaul, Commissioner’s Clerk.



The Clinton County Fish and Game Protective Association was organized in Lock Haven at the office of Dr. J. H. Hayes, February 19th, 1892, with the following officers: Dr. J. H. Hayes, President; Dr. W. J. Shoemaker, Vice-President; J. F. Brown, Secretary; G. L. Morlock, Treasurer; H. T. Harvey, Solicitor.

Board of Managers — L. M. Morrison, Moore Fredericks, Charles J. Wait, E. J. Israel and Charles Keiger, Lock Haven; J. V. Quiggle, Pine Station; Charles H. Rich, Richville; R. W. A. Jamison, Jamison’s Mills; Nicholas Watt, Hammersley Forks; A. S. Furst, Cedar Springs; Charles Sigmund, Sr., Salona; H. G. Holmes, North Bend; C. K. Soher, Glen Union; Harvey Kleckner, Logan Mills; Wallace Gakle, Keating.

The association has a membership of seventy-five, and meets the first Tuesday of each month at the office of Dr. J. H. Hayes, on Water street, Lock Haven, Pa.



The Clinton County Medical Society was organized June 12th, 1888, with the following named persons as officers: Dr. J. M. Dum, President; Dr. R. B. Watson, Vice-President; Dr. F. P. Ball, Secretary; L. m. Holloway, Treasurer; Dr. w. J. Shoemaker, J. E. Tibbens and A. G. Walls, Censors.

Present Officers — Dr. W. J. Shoemaker, President; Dr. A. J. stokes, Vice-President; Dr. H. C. Lichtenthaler, Secretary; Dr. F. P. Ball Treasurer; Dr. J. H. Hayes, Dr. R. Armstrong and Dr. R. B. Watson, Censors.

The Clinton County Medical Society meets the second Tuesday of each month in the office of Dr. J. H. Hayes, on water street, Lock Haven, Pa. The society has nineteen members.



Beech Creek, Bitumen, Boonville, Caldwell, Carroll, Cedar Springs, Chatham Run, Clintondale, Farrandsville, Flemington, Glen Union, Greenburr, Hammersley’s Forks, Haneyville, Hyner, Island, Keating, Lamar, Lock Haven, Logan Mills, Loganton, McElhattan, Mackeyville, Mill Hall, Parvin, Pine Station, Rauchtown, Renovo, Rosecrans, Rote, Salona, Shintown, Tylersville, Westport and Wistar.



Clinton County Agricultural Society was organized March 12th, 1881.

Its first officers were Joel A. Herr, President; W. S. Clawater, Secretary; S. D. Ball, Treasurer.

The present officers are Joel A. Herr, Cedar Springs, President; William Hayes, Mackeyville, Secretary; W. H. Dornblaser, Lamar, Treasurer.



Pomona Grange No. 29, P. of H., was organized in 1875.

The present officers are John McNaul, Salona, Master; C. J. Wasson, Cedar Springs, Lecturer; David Mapes, Beech Creek, Secretary; James Taylor, Mackeyville, Treasurer.